Bill and Pam Farrel have been married 38 years and are the authors of 45 books including their best-selling Men Are Like Waffles, Women Are Like Spaghetti. They are passionate about helping marriages and it really comes across in the conversation we had with them!
In recent years they have downsized 95% of their possessions to live on a houseboat in order to position themselves to be the caregivers for Bill’s aging parents. In this interview they talk about so many of the dynamics they have had to navigate over 38 years of marriage. We know you’ll be able to relate!
Here are a few of their marriage titles:
Men Are Like Waffles, Women Are Like Spaghetti
Red-Hot Monogamy: Making Your Marriage Sizzle
The 10 Best Decisions A Couple Can Make
The Marriage Code
A Couple’s Journey With God
Talk About It
- Is there someone we could invite to share their marriage wisdom with us?
- Is there any way “we need to create a new blueprint for our marriage” that is different from our families of origin?
- How do we do at accepting the “slow growth areas” in each other’s life?
- Do you like “public attention?” (People who don’t like public attention would hate a surprise party but people who like public attention would love a surprise party.)
- What’s our passion plan for this week?
Think About It:
- Is there any way I need to recognize any unhealthy baggage I carried into our marriage from my family of origin?
- Are there any triggers that raise up inside of me like Bill and Pam talk about in marriage? Is there any way I need to “talk myself off the ledge” in remembering that my spouse is not like my mom or my dad?
- Is there something I need to give my spouse grace about?
- Is there something I need to give myself grace about?
- Is there something I’m trying to control in my spouse’s life?
“I made a decision to accept the slow growth areas in my spouse’s life just like I have to accept the slow growth areas in my life.” Bill Farrel
“We’re going to keep the argument going until we’re back in love with each other.” Bill Farrel
“The bigger the faux pas the bigger the apology that’s needed.” Pam Farrel
“As husbands, we have to learn to be interested in her when we don’t care what she’s talking about. ” Bill Farrel
Three tools/apps that were discussed in this interview:
- Her Best Friend app (available in Google Play and Itunes store)
- Bitmoji app
- Flirt Alert